Thursday, January 10, 2013

This Explains A Lot (Happy #3 to The Dom)

The night Dominic was born I put Gianna to bed as usual and exited the bedroom mid-contraction. Brad says I had my game-face on. When I got in the tub at about 7:30 pm I thought I had a night's work ahead of me.

Instead, less than two hours later I was apologizing to my mother for needing push and the midwife wasn't here yet. The baby came so quickly my water didn't break; my mother knelt on the floor behind me as I braced myself on the bathroom vanity and Brad relayed instructions from our midwife over the phone. My clearest memory is of the brightness of the bathroom lights and my mother's voice, praying aloud for guidance and safety for the baby.

And then, and then! I knew he was a boy even before he was in my arms. My first thought was, "Wow...you aren't cute at all, but I am SO glad you are here!" That moment when you look at your new baby and think, "So it's you! It was you, all along!" is unmatchable. Incredible.

My Dom is still on the unpredictable side, to say the least. Today, he turns three years old. And that is straight up crazy.









So you see, he's been pretty funny the whole time. Happy birthday, buddy!

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Dom's facial expressions!! Happy birthday little guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's got pro-hockey player written all over him. Get that boy on skates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure why my name isn't coming through - it's Justin - if you couldn't tell from the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet baby! Happy birthday to your little man ;) I love that you do home births...I really don't have the guts at this time, but admire women so much who do! I will be delivering our 3rd very soon and need to read up on all your calmness, woman! You seem so relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures! Especially the rainboots :).

    ReplyDelete