Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Get.It.Together

So there's this part in Shawn of the Dead where....ok nevermind. Basically, one character tells another to "sort their {insert four letter expletive+ing) life out."

Through a combination of growing a human being from scratch and staying up irresponsibly late (again) and day one of Brad working 20 hours of overtime this week, I was v. tired today. Even more so by the time we screeched into the Trader Joe's. I had to take a moment after I turned off the car to gather what scraps up energy remained. I made the executive decision to NOT make homemade pancakes and picked up the only frozen pancakes they had....gluten-free, dairy free. I actually got them gratis after quizzing an employee about the tastiness of the pancakes. (verdict...meh. they were weird). We made it through the check-out line without incident, both kids sucking on their organically fair-traded all natural etc etc lollipops and made our way to the car.

I was pulling out of my parking space and heading out when I realized the light indicating a car door was open was on. I pondered this and then realized....it was Gianna's door, because I had never buckled her into her seat and thus never properly closed the door. HALT. Gianna realized she wasn't buckled at this same moment and she was appropriately horrified.

 I pulled into another space and buckled her up, all five points, and commented off-hand, "Mama is a little tired and crazy right now....I forgot to buckle you!!"

And she said, "But, Mama. You HAVE to! You have two kids!"

Yep. You're right, my G. I need get it together. Good thing Lent starts tomorrow. Good thing Holy Mother Church is so wise in Her rhythms of the year....of having some Ordinary Time after Christmas, and just when winter is looking bleak, when all the half-assed New Year's Resolutions have faded, She gives us Lent. A time to sort our stuff out. Do some house-cleaning, soul-cleaning, re-ordering, purging, stripping down, all with the eyes toward the Resurrection at the end of the 40 days.

If you were hoping I'd get to some nitty-gritty, specific advice on how to do all that....I don't exactly have it. I know that I'm going to spend some time each day in silent conversation with God, that I am going to spend more time playing and enjoying my little buddies, that I am going to look for more ways to serve Brad and our marriage, that I am going to make a lot of Goodwill runs and try to be mindful of all the blessings I've been given. I'm going to generally try to sort my life out.

Let's pray for each other as we head in to this most fruitful season....this season of hope and possibilities....welcome to Lent!

11 comments:

  1. I love Lent. And I'm with you- I wonder if I'd love it as much if it were placed right smack dab in the middle of summer? There's just something so perfect about spending the last dreary days of winter preparing our souls for new growth.

    It's almost like Someone had things all planned out from the beginning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Anne, after two close calls almost hitting other cars on the road and forgetting every other thing I needed to do today, I felt JUST like this. I am with you about Lent. Feels like I just need it to happen. Good thing it's tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lent is one of my most favorite seasons for all the reasons you mentioned. And I forgot to buckle my 3 year old once, too. I definitely scored "mom of the year" that day. Not only did I not buckle him in, I yelled at him when he started screaming hysterically. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
    car buyer sydney
    car buyer in sydney

    ReplyDelete
  5. We at Cash for Cars Canberra buy and remove old and unwanted trucks for as much as up to $9,999.
    We provide our free cash for truck removal services to all over Canberra and among its suburbs, so you don’t have to worry bringing your truck to us.

    truck removal Canberra

    ReplyDelete
  6. You choose a good choice of words in this blog.
    We are the top choice for cash for car removal Henley Beach. We are specialized in buying accidental, broken, flooded, fire-damaged, and unwanted cars. We offer quality services that you can find nowhere else.

    scrap car removal henley beach

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now i will avoid to give christmas gifts.If you have or anyone who have problem regarding private owners don’t want a vehicle that isn’t in excellent condition, and most nearby junkyards are only interested in Audi’s salvage value. we’re able to help you sell it quickly and leave you with top cash up to $9,999.

    audi wreckers brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are car removal Melbourne experts and have years of experience in buying and removing vehicles. From two-wheelers to eight wheelers, we handle all makes and models of vehicles efficiently.
    We have the latest tools to dismantle and recycle cars. We aim to remove all the working auto parts and pay cash for cars in Melbourne up to $9,999.

    free car removal melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a relatively dense piece of information, but it is presented in an understandable way. Due to my own experience with Cash for Cars Gold Coast, I have found that an article is the best way to inform my audience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Creative writers are a great asset to businesses. With a blog, you can make money online and offline. Our on-the-spot cash transfer service will be announced when we partner with Cash for Cars Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is essential for authors to retain the attention of their readers. The best recycling companies in the industry include Metal Biz Recycler. In addition to cash for cars, we also provide other services at our company. Working at my company is enjoyable because of the friendly and knowledgeable employees. In addition, Metal Biz offers automobile products and services, including Cash for Cars Brisbane. More information can be found at Metal Biz.

    ReplyDelete