Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bacon Potato Cheddar Broccoli Soup. Yeah Buddy

 The days are growing shorter, the sun is getting weaker, there is a slight chill to the air, leaves are falling like golden rain. Fall means that all I want to do is bake and eat soup. Here is a recipe for a soup that is a current fav around here. Everything that is good in this life is in this soup.
it looks like there is yogurt in this grouping, but actually that's my homemade chicken stock, being stored in recycled yogurt containers.

 First, chop the onions, carrots, and celery and set aside.

 Slice the potatoes. I like to leave most of the peel on. I'm lazy like that, plus, all the good stuff is in the peel. Whatever I can do to reduce the mother-guilt, I will do.

In a large stock pot, get your bacon working. I'd go for at least 6 slices, but really...is there such thing as too much bacon? Go strong and do the whole package. You  won't regret it.

After the bacon is fried, remove it to a plate and leave the grease. Add in the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent. Add in the potatoes, cayenne pepper, thyme, salt, pepper, and the chicken broth. I make my own broth because I am awesome. And because I like things that are cheap, easy, and make me appear to be v. domestic and on top of my game.

Bring that whole show to a boil and then simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are soft.

While you are waiting for everthing to simmer, shred about 3 cups of cheddar cheese. Or you could cheat and buy it pre-shredded. No judging here.


Take this time to wash and chop the broccoli as well so it's all.ready.to.go.

After the potatoes are soft, stir in the milk and crumbled bacon and allow the soup to return to a boil. Add in the broccoli and simmer until cooked. Don't be a hater and do something lame like try to use low-fat milk. Full fat is where it's at. Or, sometimes I do 2 cups of milk and 2 cups of half&half.

Stay with me, we're almost done! At this point I like to bust out my immersion blender and puree everything smooth, then I slowly stir in the cheese until it is all melted.


Serve with crusty sourdough bread.


Happy customers



Ingredients
  • 6-12 slices of bacon
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 2  carrots, peeled and diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 head broccoli, chopped
  • 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Fry bacon in large stock pot. Remove to plate and leave grease in pot. Add in carrots, onion, garlic, and celery and cook and stir until the onion is translucent.
  2. Stir in potatoes, chicken stock, cayenne, thyme, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
  3. Stir crumbled bacon and milk into the stock pot and allow the soup to return to a simmer.
  4. Stir in broccoli and and cook until the broccoli is tender
  5. Puree soup with immersion blender or by removing it to stand blender. Slowly sprinkle in shredded cheese and stir until fully melted.

1 comment: